Craftsman Bungalow Garage

Share this page:

Earlier this year we built a custom garage in the historic Lake Lawsona- Ferncreek neighborhood in Orlando, Florida. Unfortunately, when the garage was first finished, we didn’t get very good photos. Luckily, when we went back in April for the Lake Lawsona Garden Tour, we were able to swing by and see the garage nestled beautifully in the finished yard.

Orlando Historic Bungalow Detached Garage

The new garage looks like it has always been in the yard

Craftsman Bungalow Garage Orlando

The 14’x20′ garage has an overhead door that is faced to look like a traditional carriage house door

Orlando Detached Garage Side Door

A board and batten cypress beadboard door leads off the side of the garage

Garage double hung wood window

Garage double hung wood window

Carriage House style overhead garage door

Carriage House style overhead garage door and classic outdoor lights

The Lake Lawsona – Ferncreek Garden Tour takes place every other year, alternating annually with the Lake Eola Heights Neighborhood Garden Tour and is well worth attending. This year, we were given booth space near H. H. Dickson Azalea Park, which is a phenomenal historic natural landscape park comprised of a ravine down the middle of the neighborhood. It is a great asset that complements the lovely 1920s homes that make up the neighborhood.

Dickson Azalea Park Historic Marker Orlando

“Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their animals south. State Senator Walter Rose (1888-1958) purchased 40 acres of land here in 1916 and platted most of it for development. He set aside five acres adjacent to the creek for a park, called Senator Rose park, which he deeded to the City of Orlando in 1924. In 1933, the Civitan Club presented the City Council with a proposal to beautify the overgrown park and asked the city to re-name it in honor of Colonel Henry Hill Dickson (1849-1935). An Orlando business pioneer and civic leader, Dickson devoted his energies to the beautification of Orlando, and was instrumental in planting azaleas throughout the city. In 1935, ground was broken for restoration of the overgrown property. Local landscape architect Mulford Foster designed the scheme for the park’s plants, water features, bridges and paths, and Works Progress Adminsitration labor built the park’s walls and steps. Dickson Azalea Park was designated an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1991.”

Dickson Azalea Park Bridge

One of many natural style bridges in Dickson Azalea Park in Orlando

Tree in Dickson Azalea Park Orlando

Tree emerging from the ravive in Dickson Azalea Park Orlando

Posted on August 9, 2016 9:05 pm